Click to go to our home site

Click to go to our home site
Open your heart and let hoofbeats fill it

Slideshow of Horses

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Behind the scenes of Horse Rescue


In all of our pictures there are smiling faces. People kissing, hugging, loving the rescued horses. Now, as we approach winter, that dedication, admiration, and responsibility are unfailing. Now is the time our inboxes flood with: horses that are unwanted, can't be afforded by their "loving" homes, owners go off to school, children grow up, winter is cold, etc, etc, etc. i've heard every reason why a horse needs to be let go,shot, turned out, euthanized, "donated" (my favorite!), etc. "I love my horse, he's my baby. I've owned "Silver" for 25 yrs....but I can't afford him - I need a new horse I can ride (Add EXCUSE here). I used to be astounded by the lack of compassion, but than I look at society. We lock our loved ones up in nursing homes. We abort or adopt out our own CHILDREN!! Why not discard our beloved horse of 25 years?
Yet, Lucky Orphans opens our doors, hearts, and hands again and again for love of a horse. The look in any of their trusting eyes. The curiousity when we arrive. The settling when a new horse arrives.
Despite the cold, ice, snow, freezing hoses, frozen water troughs, muddy gates, frozen pipes, blistery winds; none of our volunteers or youth development team ever stop smiling. We keep on loving, hoping, teaching, working, and breathing life for every one of our rescues and the ones that we cannot reach.
I want to personally thank every board member, and volunteer for all your efforts and all your tribulations this upcoming winter season. I want to thank our wonderful vet, Dr. David Hammond, for his untiring efforts. I want to give thanks to the children who pitch in and become adults when the horses need them. I want to thank the parents of the children who learn to admire their children for the lessons they've taught their parents. I want to thank you all for your support and positive energy.
I have bled, sweat and cried many days and nights for this organization, and I'd do it all again a thousand times to feel the breath of one horse I saved. I've help stitch for HOURS in a thunderstorm with no power, I've walked colicking horses for HOURS and HOURS until they were better, I've fought with unwilling owners, careless owners, stupid owners. I've fallen, been kicked, been bitten, been mistrusted, and then had the MOST unruly horse eat from my hand. I've saved babies and old horses. I've had to put my best friend down at the age of 40 (Snickers this is the first Christmas without you and I miss you so much!!)
I would do it all over again. I get up every day no matter how sick, tired, frustrated, angry, stressed, overwhelmed, and am greeted by whinneys and knickers of my best friends - those who know I saved them. My Lucky Orphans. The bit of America I can save. Help me and the rest of my team do more! We need your supoprt and small donations to find our orphans a permanent home for Christmas.

No comments: